The user can bring up the context menu by right clicking on a cell.
By default, the context menu provides the values 'copy' and 'paste'. Copy will copy the selected
cells or rows to the clipboard. Paste will always, forever, be disabled.
The 'paste' operation in the context menu is not possible and hence always disabled.
take data from the clipboard without the user explicitly doing a paste command from the browser
data from the client via grabbing from the clipboard maliciously. The reason why ag-Grid keeps
the paste in the menu as disabled is to indicate to the user that paste is possible and it provides
the shortcut as a hint to the user.
Configuring the Context Menu
You can customise the context menu by providing a
Each time the context menu is to be shown, the callback is called to retrieve the items
to include in the menu. This allows the client application to display a menu individually
customised to each cell.
getContextMenuItems() takes the following object as parameters:
column: Column, // the column that was clicked
node: RowNode, // the node that was clicked
value: any, // the value displayed in the clicked cell
api: GridApi, // the grid API
columnApi: ColumnAPI, // the column API
context: any, // the grid context
defaultItems: string // names of the items that would be provided by default
The result of
getContextMenuItems() should be a list with each item either a) a string
or b) a MenuItem description. Use 'string' to pick from built in menu items (currently 'copy', 'paste'
or 'separator') and use MenuItem descriptions for your own menu items.
If you want to access your underlying data item, you access that through the rowNode as
var dataItem = node.data.
A MenuItem description looks as follows (items with question marks are optional):
name: string, // name of menu item
disabled?: boolean, // if item should be enabled / disabled
shortcut?: string, // shortcut (just display text, saying the shortcut here does nothing)
action?: ()=>void, // function that gets executed when item is chosen
checked?: boolean, // set to true to provide a check beside the option
icon?: HTMLElement|string, // the icon to display beside the icon, either a DOM element or HTML string
subMenu?: MenuItemDef // if this menu is a sub menu, contains a list of sub menu item definitions
cssClasses?: string; //Additional CSS classes to be applied to the menu item
tooltip?: string; //Optional tooltip for the menu item
Note: If you set
checked=true, then icon will be ignored, these options are mutually exclusive.
If you want to turn off the context menu completely, set the grid property
Built In Menu Items
The following is a list of all the default built in menu items with the rules about when they are shown.
- autoSizeAll: Auto-size all columns. Always shown.
- expandAll: Expand all groups. Only shown if grouping by at least one column.
- contractAll: Contract all groups. Only shown if grouping by at least one column.
- copy: Copy selected value to clipboard
- copyWithHeadersCopy selected value to clipboard with headers.
- paste: Always disabled (see note in clipboard section).
- resetColumns: Reset all columns.
- toolPanel: Show / hide the toolpanel.
- export: Export sub menu (containing csvExport and excelExport).
- csvExport: Export to CSV using all default export values.
- excelExport: Export to Excel using all default export values.
Default Context Menu
One drawback of using the ag-Grid context menu is that you may want to show the browsers context
menu when debugging, for example in order to access your browsers dev tools. If you want the grid
to do nothing (and hence allow the browser to display its context menu) then hold down the ctrl
key while clicking for the context menu.
Holding down ctrl & context menu bypasses the grids context menu. If you do want the grids context
menu, even when ctrl is pressed, then set allowContextMenuWithControlKey=true.
Context Menu Example
Below shows a configured context menu in action demonstrating a customised menu with a mix
of custom items. You should notice the following:
- A mix of built in items and custom items are used.
- The first item uses the contents of the cell to display its value.
- Country and Person are sub menu's. The country sub menu contains icons.
- The menu item 'Always Disabled' has a tooltip.
- The menu item has css classes applied to it.
- The second menu item ('Always Disabled') has a tooltip.